Vegetable Lasagna Recipe: “Pasta Less and Meatless”
Summary: This is one of my signature dishes. Hearty, healthy, unique and delicious. Lasagna in Italian just means to layer. Instead of pasta were going to use breaded fried or baked cutlets. “Milanese” To be the layering component, then sweet roasted peppers, fresh spinach, with black olives that will add big bursts of salty flavor with creamy ricotta and a thin layer of baby Swiss cheese tie it all together with a brush of tomato sauce…. Umm. This is a huge hit for vegetarians. Smoke, get inspired and make something great!
- Eggplant fried or baked with breadcrumbs. I save a lot of time by just buying eggplant Milanese in my local salumeria. About 20 slices ¼ inch thick.
- About 5 cans or 3 pounds of roasted peppers. You can do it yourself or just buy roasted peppers in a can or jar. Make sure you dry them with a towel.
- About 3 bags of fresh spinach. Blanch in boiling salted water for 3 minutes strain very very well. Make a base ball with the spinach and squeezed get as much water out as possible. If you don’t it will make your eggplant soggy.
- 1 ½ cups of black olives, small chop. I use oil cured olives their dryer and more flavorful. Make sure they are d-pitted.
- 1 lb of ricotta. Put in a strainer and let sit. You want to take out any excess water.
- About 3 lbs of tomato sauce. Your choice. You are looking for a smooth sauce.
- 20 slices of baby Swiss cheese, you can use Munster, mozzarella, Fontina your choice.
- Grated Parmigiano cheese.
- In a 3” tall lasagna tray place eggplant cutlets evenly across the bottom, don’t layer them.
- Brush a little tomato sauce using a latil and spreading it evenly.
- Now break up the spinach and try to spread over the eggplant. Keep in mind you need to conserve for the next layer.
- Now sprinkle the chopped olives. Evenly. Remember to conserve we need to layer again.
- Take a spoonful of ricotta and dab it about 3 inches from each other. It will spread when we bake it.
- Cut your roasted peppers and spread them on top of the ricotta. Now layer your cheese.
- Now put another layer of eggplant and repeat steps 1-6.
- Now the 3rd layer is a topper layer so just brush with sauce add Parmigiano regiano your choice of cheese. Put tin foil over the tray and put in a 350 degree oven for 35-45 minutes. Last 5 minutes take off tin foil and broil to get a nice browned top.
- Take out. Let sit for a few hours, if possible let sit till room temp, refrigerate, and heat up and the next day. You can serve after if you can’t wait. If it’s watery, you need to let it set and serve the next day. ENJOY.
Cooking Times/Difficulty Levels
Prep time: depends on if you take my tips or not.
Cook time: about 1 hour total.
Difficulty level: easy–medium.
Diet type: Vegetarian